Thursday, March 31, 2011

My wife is awesome.



If you don't know, this is my wife Jennifer. Jennifer is the love of my life, and indeed is really responsible for getting me into my running in the first place when she got me to do the first Bisbee 1000 with her, and then bought me "Born to Run." She chose a goal a while ago" she was going to march in the Bataan Memorial Death March.

Each year, the original Bataan is commemorated at White Sands Missile Base, New Mexico by a marathon length (26.2 mile) march through horrid terrain. There's a couple of categories; whether you want to just go for it, or if you want to do it in the heavy category you put 35 pounds on.


That looks like this.

You then go walk through the desert: sand, hills, wildlife, temperatures from 40 in the morning to 80 by the afternoon, and this year, 40 mile an hour winds. Jennifer trained, Jennifer set out, and Jennifer succeeded. She finished in 9 1/2 hours, which actually brought her in before a large number of military males in the Light category. In short, my darling wife is frakking incredible. I am so proud of her.



She says she has no intention of doing this again, but likes the idea of these distances. Next up? We're going to split the difference, and together we are doing Warrior Dash. She's so cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment