Thursday, February 24, 2011

For Better and For Worse



So, it is finished! My second marathon, the Lost Dutchman 2011 is now behind me, and as you will see below, I have my second finishers' medal! So, how did I do?

Well, better and worse. Let me tell you up front, I did about a minute slower than I did last year. I can tell you this though: I did much better this year. How can this all be true?

Last year, the weather was simply wonderful: clear, still, just perfect. Go back and read last year though, and you will see those last six miles were hell. I stopped to walk every water point, and crossed that finish line by pure will alone. I expected the same this time.

Instead, I learned how to properly fuel, and felt really good at the end. Took down one GU gel an hour, and drove on. In fact, I skipped the water point at the 20, and after 22, didn't stop at all. I hit 22 at 3:52, and was moving at a 9:30 pace. It was awesome! I slugged down my 22 mile water and drove on. At mile 23, then there's a turn...

Into a 10-15 MPH head wind. I mean, it was rough. Most people around me walked instead, I kept running. Slow but steady, I kept moving. Three miles into the wind, and the last mile in the rain. It slowed me down, and so I came in 4:42:53, a minute slower than last year, but so much stronger. I didn't have that post race starvation either, because I was properly fueled. Initially I intended to make this my last one for a while. Now though, I need to see how that weather will be next year... I can do better!

Now the sad news. The lovely Jennifer was going to come do the half-marathon this year, but the flu got her. She is still all set up to do the Bataan memorial ruck march next month though, I bet she's going to knock it out of the park!

Now, enjoy some pics! (Thanks to Action Sport Images for the two of me)












No comments:

Post a Comment