Monday, February 1, 2010

Week 14- Take it Slowly



Well, following last week's rather abysmal showing on the weekend, I was back on track this week. Tuesday was a good solid five miler and went by just fine. Then came Wednesday, and my eight seemed to float by without even tight legs. Thursday, I was going to do four with Eightball, but he and I were in the mood, so we did five. THen came the weekend. "No problem," I said to myself, "It's only 12."

Then I had to stop and think about what my self had just heard myself say.

Only twelve.

Only twelve.

Only twelve!

Simple fact was, one mile short of the half-marathon didn't register as a really long run anymore. And sure enough, when I got out there to do it, I knocked out the first six a full minute per mile faster than my average. Then I scooped up Eightball, and we did the next six together. So sure- four minute break in the middle while I was leashing the dog, but nothing significant to break up the mileage. Meanwhile, in this whole run, I didn't stop for calories or gel- I didn't even get thirsty. Had to give Eightball half my water bottle, but I was good.

Maybe I'm not doing it right, but I am feeling really comfortable with distance now, and I am now two weeks from the race. I know I'm supposed to taper off now and let the body rest up for the big run... but gosh, I really do want to run more. My body's really gotten used to it.

Dear God- I've actually become a runner.

Not sure how I'm going to get through the next two weeks building up to the race.

No comments:

Post a Comment