Sunday, February 7, 2010

One week to go...



Well folks, not a whole heck of a lot to report this week- except that I am now a week from the race! That's right, True Believers, it all comes down to next Sunday up in Apache Junction (the pic above is from last year's Lost Dutchman Marathon) where we find out of all this training has truly turned me into a Marathon Man.

My biggest fight right now is with my body wanting to run more. I had gotten pretty used to doing between 30 and 40 miles a week, and in these last two weeks of scaling back I am bouncing between running much faster than I should because it is so many less miles, or occasionally tagging on an extra mile when I shouldn't. I will tell you this though- training since October, and getting as high as 20 miles in a run, the first three are still the hardest. My body still looks at me like I am an idiot for three miles, and then finally hits pace and lets me go. Then I feel great. Why? Maybe it takes me that long to warm up at a 9:30 to 10:00 pace, maybe it's the last vestiges of the non-running Dan; regardless, those first three suck and then 3-15 are just fine. I start to ache around the 16-18 mark, but it's a good ache, not injury. So long as I can keep hydrated and fueled (hello icky vanilla bean flavored gel packs!) I should be just fine.

In other quick news, I finally got my Vibram Five Fingers, so perhaps there will be a new series of entries on this blog post marathon as I start training toward barefoot. Kind of excited about it, but we will see where it goes. Is there a lot of hype in the whole current move toward barefoot? Sure, bit on the other hand, there's some good science and stats to suggest it's a lot better for you too. It would be pretty cool to keep up this running thing with less chance of having to stop for injury.

As it stands though, the next post you see here will either be full of glory or regret; I'm pretty curious how it all turns out myself. See you in a week 26.2, you better be running.

No comments:

Post a Comment